Jump start your career with an internship at Steeltown.
Like our other programs, the internship program is a pipeline to careers in the entertainment industry. Many of our interns have gone on to work for studios, networks, and production companies in NY, LA and, of course, Pittsburgh.
We are currently seeking interns for the Fall 2017 semester. We offer a Production Internship, Marketing Internship, and Community Outreach internship. We look for interns with a positive, go-getter attitude, who will commit the time to complete whatever task is asked of them. To apply, please email your resume and a cover letter to Chelsea@steeltown.org. In your cover letter, please indicate what type of internship you would like to apply for, and any specific areas of interest. Please also indicate why you want to be a Steeltown Intern.
- Internships must be taken for college credit.
- Interns receive roughly 12 hours per week. This can be adjusted to better fit the needs of the intern.
- The application deadline for Fall 2017 internships is Friday 9/1 at 12:00PM
Upon completion of an internship, interns should expect to know the following:
- Expectations of a professional pursuing a career in industry
- The pathway to get to their desired career field
- Additional training opportunities outside of Steeltown
- Personal connections to members of Steeltown’s network, if possible referrals to local companies or on local projects, as available.
“Steeltown’s a good training ground. There aren’t many opportunities to get that kind of experience in Pittsburgh. Working at Steeltown really shows you how the entertainment industry works. You deal with the biggest players in Hollywood through Steeltown. Interns work on short films and get connected to people who are Hollywood heavy-hitters, and this ultimately helps [them] jump from Pittsburgh to L.A. or New York.”Tom Pellegrini
“If you are someone who is a project starter or a go-getter then Steeltown is perfect for you. I was able to take charge of what I worked on and take the reins on multiple endeavors such as marketing strategies for projects and creating new social media outlets for Steeltown. I felt as if my opinion truly mattered to the other employees and felt that I made a difference while here.”Megan McCue
As a Production Intern, you will work closely with various staff members with small tasks and projects that increase in responsibility over time. These tasks are designed to help you quickly learn what is expected of a young professional that wants to succeed in this competitive industry.
- Work alongside staff to execute projects
- Assist with the day-to-day tasks needed for a small nonprofit
- Assist with events
- Answer phones, direct calls, and take messages as needed
- Assist with research for upcoming projects
- Assist with various aspects of productions
Skills and Experience:
- Go-getter attitude
- Ability to work in a team
- Strong desire to work in the entertainment industry
As a marketing intern, you will work closely with Steeltown’s Communications Coordinator. Prospective interns must be college students with interests in marketing and communications.
- Catalogue, organize, and publish photos from events and productions
- Pitch and write blog posts for Steeltown’s website
- Create posts and campaigns for Steeltown’s social media networks
- Other tasks as needed
Skills and Experience
- Social media competency
Community Outreach Intern
As the Community Outreach intern, you will work closely with Steeltown’s Community Outreach Manager. Prospective interns should be college students with interests in event planning, marketing, fundraising and nonprofit management.
- Inputting and organizing contacts in database
- Cold calling potential vendors, contacts, etc.
- Strategic marketing planning
- Managing ticket sales and tracking guest lists
- Coordinating volunteers
- Financial reporting
- Networking and creating new contacts
Skills and Experience
- Customer Service
- Event Planning
- Interest in nonprofit a plus
BECOME AN INTERN.
GET OUR NEWSLETTER
Latest News, Event Updates, & More